A visit to King House is a walk through almost 300 years of history. Our life-sized historical figures, interactive displays and activities bring the past to life. Enjoy our magnificent period rooms, listen to the story of ‘Jingling Johnny’, write with a quill and ink or visit our cold, damp jail cells in the basement.
First built in 1730 as the seat of the King family, a powerful landowning dynasty the house later became a military barracks and recruiting depot for the famous Irish regiment of the British army, the Connaught Rangers.
At the end of the Civil War in 1923 the barracks passed into the control of the newly formed Irish Free State Army. Following many years as a merchants store, King House was saved from demolition in the late 1980’s and restored to its former Georgian style by Roscommon County Council.
The house is now open to the public as a museum, bringing its history to life. It houses the Connaught Rangers Museum and the Boyle Civic Art Collection.
A multi-disciplinary programme of arts events takes place in King House between April and September, including elements of the Boyle Arts Festival.